OTHER LOCALLY SIGNIFICANT PARKS AND GARDENS IN CHESHIRE
Trust volunteers have focused on the research and recording of non designated parks and gardens of which there are over 400 in Cheshire. Some of these sites have the potential to be of national significance but many will be local heritage assets. Completed reports are submitted to owners, the relevant local authority, Cheshire Archives and Local Studies who make the information available in local libraries, and Cheshire Historic Environment Record (CHER). Reports are also available from the Trust on request. Please contact us if you have queries regarding a potentially historic park and garden.
Note: Reports have been completed for those sites in capital letters. * indicates a Short Draft report
Parks and Gardens in WARRINGTON BOROUGH COUNCIL
for the full list of non-designated parks and gardens.
APPLETON HALL c1820
Appleton Hall was built by the Lyon family, bankers and partners in Greenall's Wilderspool brewery. The Hall was demolished and the site is now occupied by part of Bridgewater High School and the surrounding parkland is a modern housing estate.
In 1850, Bagshaw's Directory described Appleton Hall as a beautiful, modern mansion, stuccoed, and surrounded by a finely undulating park, interspersed with shrubberies and plantation.
Former home of the Parr family, Warrington bankers. House demolished in the 1970s but walled garden and formal garden saved by local action. Gardens around the house are now owned by the Woodland Trust. West lodge remains and a track along the original driveway runsfrom the lodge to the site of the former house. There is also the east lodge on Broad Lane, Grappenhall, with a track leading to Grappenhall Heys.
The kitchen garden, conservatories and pleasure grounds have all been restored following local action which started in the 1990s
Principal remaining features:
- Terraces/set of steps
- Kitchen garden and pleasure garden (restored)
- Pleasure grounds to north of house
THELWALL HALL (grounds now Elizabeth Park)
Thelwall Hall was the seat of the Lords of the Manor of Thelwall. By 1753 plans were being made to demolish the original mediaeval hall and replace it with a Georgian hall. This was demolished around 1955.
There are no details relating to the gardens and their design so information comes almost entirely from maps. It would appear that the gardens of the mediaeval hall survived and were extended when the new hall was built.
Houses and a park now occupy the site of the former Thelwall Hall.
WALTON HALL PARK (Includes Crematorium)